Barry Everingham can be described as the ultimate name dropper and with good reason! After a lifetime in the media he has interviewed hundreds of celebrities, covered many major events and in his spare time has played with the rich and famous.
His beat has been Australia, England, the United States, Spain, most of Europe, Singapore, Hong Kong, The Phillipines – he even travelled to Moscow on the trans Siberian Express and covered Christina Onassis’ first wedding
Years later an American TV network sent him to London for the wedding of Prince Edward to Sophie Rhys Jones. The old Melbourne Herald had him go to John Elliott’s marriage to Amanda Bayles at St Johns Toorak. At the other end of the scale he was at Joyce Grenfell’s Memorial Service in Westminster Abbey.
Everingham’s career took him to the ABC, Australian United press, Murdoch’s Australian papers, the News Limited bureaux in Canberra and London.
He was a political commentator for Channel 10, Sydney’s Radio 2UE, Melbourne’s 3AW and 3UZ, he was Canberra “stringer” for UPI and the Hindustan Times of New Delhi.
For most of the 1980’s he was Mode magazines “mouth from the south” and his column “Everingham’s High Life in the Deep South” became a must read.
In New York, he became the “royal guru” for MSNBC, Extra! and Court TV, appearing on the late Johnnie Cochran’s law show.
In 1985 he wrote, and Bantam published, the unofficial biography of the royal renegade, Princess Michael of Kent: “MC, the Adventures of a Maverick Princess”.
He has been covering the comings and goings of the British royal family since 1979 and has become an acknowledged “royal watcher”, a description he hates.
He believes his foray into reporting came about by a throw away in his final year at school. In a round robin class discussion he swayed off the beaten track and injected an opinion on a subject not on the agenda. His teacher sighed deeply and said: "Everingham, your mind is a cess pool of trivia, you really should be a reporter!".
He was commanded to dance with former Phillipines first lady Imelda Marcos at a party given in Sydney by Lady (Mary) Fairfax.
He says: "A huge colonel from Imelda’s entourage approached me and said 'the first lady of The Phillipines would like to dance with you'. I took it more as a command than a request!”
Queen Elizabeth told him to be as “naughty as you like” when at a party on board “Brittania” in Kuwait Harbour , the monarch quizzed him about the new palace of the Sultan of Oman where had met the Omani ruler a week earlier.
He met Princess Margaret at the house of one of her European royal cousins and they often met on many later occasions.
In London, Princess Alexandra recalled meeting Barry’s wife, Avril, at a Government House lunch. “Please give her my love”, the Princess said "and tell her I still remember that pretty red hat she wore at lunch”.
Barry recalls two early brushes with celebrity – his grandmother, the beautiful Sydney identity, Mrs John Henderson Jay, took him for afternoon tea with Gladys Moncreif, a musical comedy star of yesteryear.
In Perth, where he and his mother were holidaying, they encountered Dr H. V. Evatt in the foyer of their hotel.
"Bert Evatt walked over to my mother, kissed her on the cheek and said: 'how lovely to see you. And this boy is your son?'"
"I was blown away," he admits.
And in the great Depression, his parents took in Jill Perryman’s parents and sister – and a life long friendship developed. Jill’s sister, the late Dianna Perryman was famous actor, their mother Dot, a stunningly beautiful J C Williamson “show-girl” and father Bill, an actor, singer and radio indentity.
These days, Barry Everingham operates a niche public relations consultancy.
Read about Barry's favourite pioneering Australian family here.
Articles written by Barry Everingham (198)
- 31 March 2016 | Strewth, Turnbull the Placebo Flamingo of Australian politics! Who knew?
- 1 September 2015 | Dyson Heydon, #BorderFarce and Captain Abbott's last days in the Lodge
- 2 March 2015 | Barry Everingham: Support fearless independent journalism
- 18 November 2014 | Bronwyn Bishop: The world's worst Speaker
- 8 November 2014 | A letter to Tony and a goodbye to Gough
- 4 October 2014 | Abbott’s worms: Pyne's vacation and the Credlin domination
- 28 September 2014 | Mortifying Morrison’s champagne quaffing Cambodian debacle
- 19 September 2014 | Tony Abbott's silence on violence towards women is deafening
- 11 September 2014 | The biggest deficit for the Libs is Abbott and his likely replacement
- 4 September 2014 | 17 years since Diana
- 25 August 2014 | The one about the Abbott, the Bishop and the Ambassador
- 28 July 2014 | Open letter to 'psychotic' Scott Morrison
- 24 July 2014 | Heartless Abbott snubs Pararoos and disabled 12-year-old girl
- 17 July 2014 | The Liberals, Kevin Andrews and the anti-gay, pro-life activists
- 7 July 2014 | Tony Abbott and his criminal gang
- 3 June 2014 | Sir Tony Abbott's D-Day
- 16 May 2014 | Christopher Pyne and the adults in charge
- 8 May 2014 | Q&A student protest sets a Pyne example
- 6 May 2014 | Abbott exacerbates Indonesian mess by last minute no-show
- 29 April 2014 | How Abbott lied, trashed protocol and offended everyone — including the Queen
- 3 April 2014 | Tony Abbott's right royal disaster
- 1 April 2014 | Why have a royal tour in the middle of a 'budget emergency'?
- 9 March 2014 | The expensive royal charade
- 26 February 2014 | Mirabella's high hopes for Indi
- 18 February 2014 | Dolly Downer goes to London
- 10 January 2014 | The crowning of Charles
- 27 December 2013 | David Flint’s annus horribilis
- 16 December 2013 | Billy Bunter’s plum posting
- 6 December 2013 | Letter to Indonesia
- 26 November 2013 | The Everingham files: More Indonesian interceptions
- 25 November 2013 | The Governor General and the attack dog
- 24 November 2013 | The Everingham files: The Indonesian interceptions
- 21 November 2013 | News Corp's ABC obsession
- 19 November 2013 | The Everingham files: Tony Abbott, Sri Lanka and George Pell
- 16 November 2013 | The Everingham files: Separating families the new Coalition tool of choice
- 14 November 2013 | The Everingham files: Electricity Bill, Typhoon Tony and Kerosene Bronny
- 11 November 2013 | Abbott Government acts swiftly to legalise racism
- 8 October 2013 | Pell fire and brimstone
- 17 September 2013 | Tony Abbott's old boys' club
- 12 September 2013 | The Barnaby Abbott Government
- 19 August 2013 | Mirabella's shaky hold on Indi
- 11 August 2013 | A Fischer of (anti-Semitic) men
- 1 August 2013 | ICAC, Abbott and rottenness at the heart
- 30 July 2013 | Dolly Bunter's adventures in Cyprus
- 15 July 2013 | Kate and William's baby is no biggie
- 13 July 2013 | The impudence of Alexander Downer
- 9 July 2013 | Another rush of blood to the head for Abbott
- 29 June 2013 | The contemptible foes of an Australian adornment
- 6 June 2013 | Dangerous Abbott and his dead wood
- 30 May 2013 | Gratuitous Bolt says racism is all Goodes
- 3 May 2013 | Gaily Bolting into the White Nile
- 3 April 2013 | Greg Barns to campaign for Wikileaks
- 26 March 2013 | Risky Tony Abbott and the "birth parents"
- 9 March 2013 | Time for an Australian republic
- 7 March 2013 | Ted Baillieu bails out of Victorian premiership
- 22 February 2013 | Cory Bernardi's Coalition Wildersbeast
- 11 February 2013 | Abbott's unchanging front bench will change Australia
- 4 February 2013 | Abdicating Australia's "throne"
- 29 January 2013 | Smart A.L.E.C. Cory Bernardi not the ticket for S.A. Libs
- 7 January 2013 | The mad hatter's Australian Tea Party
- 18 December 2012 | The lacklustre Liberals
- 17 December 2012 | King Barry and Imelda
- 14 November 2012 | Cardinal Pell and the sacrosanct confessional
- 10 November 2012 | The royal fizzer
- 21 October 2012 | The Republican Roxon
- 19 October 2012 | David Hicks' day in court
- 17 October 2012 | Getting the Order right for Tendulkar
- 16 October 2012 | Charles and Camilla's forthcoming tour
- 12 October 2012 | EXCLUSIVE: IA Interviews Richard Woolcott about UN
- 10 October 2012 | Misogyny and mock outrage
- 11 August 2012 | The Manchurian Tony Abbott
- 8 August 2012 | The whinger royale
- 19 July 2012 | Monarchists Can'tDo demonstrations for Gina
- 10 July 2012 | Sinking Abbott
- 7 July 2012 | Dave and Jai battle the Girls Guides Movement
- 2 July 2012 | Dragging asylum seekers into the break
- 24 June 2012 | Australia needs Independent Australia
- 14 June 2012 | An Abbott proof sense
- 6 June 2012 | Nothing Australian about the Queen's jubilee
- 28 May 2012 | Showing the jubilee on the ABC
- 23 May 2012 | The Murdoch mafia's stunning hypocrisy
- 16 May 2012 | Parliament not Shorten gossip and rumours
- 30 April 2012 | Abbott compares asylum seekers with drug runners
- 2 April 2012 | A dark and bumbling future for Australia
- 13 March 2012 | CANTdo freedom of speech
- 4 March 2012 | Time for Mirabella to take her pills
- 22 February 2012 | The return of Rudd to stop Abbott
- 14 February 2012 | More monarchist fibs about the flag
- 14 February 2012 | The terminal Julia Gillard
- 6 February 2012 | Celebrating the 60th national yawn
- 24 November 2011 | Speaker Jenkins gets boot for Slipper
- 13 November 2011 | Fred Nile makes NSW MPs swear to the Queen
- 8 November 2011 | Australian Government's shabby treatment of Assange much like Hicks'
- 27 October 2011 | The royal anthem has no place in Australia
- 25 October 2011 | Queen's visit marks beginning of the end for Australian monarchy
- 22 October 2011 | The elitist monarchy does not stand up to scrutiny
- 17 October 2011 | The dreaded name - Wallis Simpson
- 13 October 2011 | The generosity of Sophie Mirabella
- 7 October 2011 | Time for Libs to dump Tony Abbott for Malcolm Turnbull
- 30 September 2011 | Mathematically - AFL fans to trump royals
- 28 September 2011 | Andrew Bolt is - officially - a racist
- 22 September 2011 | Cory Bernardi, Sarah Palin and the Australian Tea Party
- 19 September 2011 | Flint bumps Flynn for new sidekick Tae Kwon Do Jai
- 16 September 2011 | Abbott's thugs not fit to run the country
- 30 August 2011 | News Limited bias — again, again and again. If it's anti-Gillard, it’s big News…Bugger the truth…Just publish...
- 22 August 2011 | Howard, Cheney and the politics of Hicks
- 19 August 2011 | General Flint's assault on history
- 11 August 2011 | Fashionista Flinty and the case of the red bandana
- 29 July 2011 | News Ltd - uncomfortable around powerful women
- 26 July 2011 | Fourth in line to Australian throne - a right royal galah
- 21 July 2011 | Second leaked Tony Abbott memo
- 19 July 2011 | The insanity of suggesting Australia has its very own royals
- 14 July 2011 | Thugs heavy Greens protestor at hand-picked Liberal Party "community" forum
- 9 July 2011 | Raging against press freedom
- 8 July 2011 | Christopher Monckton to turn National Press Club into a circus
- 4 July 2011 | Royal tours — if they must take place let the palace pay
- 27 June 2011 | Why do some religions persist with pointless - and cruel - traditions?
- 26 June 2011 | Christopher Monckton's travelling circus rolls into town
- 22 June 2011 | Tony Abbott's plebiscite: a case of selective memory?
- 19 June 2011 | Piers Akerman says Dame Elisabeth Murdoch is too old and feeble to hold an opinion on climate change
- 16 June 2011 | Unless you live under a rock, pricing carbon makes sense
- 8 June 2011 | 27 Diggers lost in Afghanistan: enough's enough
- 7 June 2011 | The story Of A First Fleet Australian
- 30 May 2011 | Climate change denial with the Galileo Movement - all the usual suspects
- 24 May 2011 | Andrew Bolt claims to be an Indigenous Australian on the "Snide" Report
- 18 May 2011 | One hot night in Kingaroy with Tony and Julie
- 16 May 2011 | Australia - the last thing on the Queen's mind
- 14 May 2011 | Tony Abbott - A cancerous growth on Australia's body politic
- 13 May 2011 | The British royals - hard-working, underprivileged and strapped for cash
- 10 May 2011 | Be tolerant of refugees - we're almost all boat people
- 7 May 2011 | The madness of suggesting Prince Harry could become Russian Tsar
- 6 May 2011 | 'Fair and balanced' on the Andrew Bolt Report
- 4 May 2011 | Monarchist lawyer attacks Barns and Robertson for demanding justice
- 29 April 2011 | The Republic Q&A - one of the ABC's worst ever shows
- 27 April 2011 | Prince Charles bullies the BBC into gagging The Chaser
- 25 April 2011 | ANZAC Day: a time to remember loved ones lost
- 16 April 2011 | The way we inherit our royal, foreign, male, Protestant head of state
- 16 April 2011 | Coming up: Independent Australia is digging deep
- 13 April 2011 | Tony Abbott, big tobacco and the "astro turf" organisations
- 12 April 2011 | Walter Bagehot and those "riveting" marriages
- 3 April 2011 | The biggest April Fools in Australian history
- 1 April 2011 | Flint vents spleen at Amanda Vanstone
- 30 March 2011 | Let's include the Queen in the new Australian Republic
- 29 March 2011 | Fierravanti-Wells exposed as another hard right extremist
- 27 March 2011 | Why are monarchists silent about Prince Andrew?
- 21 March 2011 | Prince William: nice bloke who will never be our head of state
- 19 March 2011 | Behind Closed Doors in the Liberal Party Rooms*
- 16 March 2011 | Why is William W coming to Australia?
- 14 March 2011 | While Abbott is Opposition Leader, Gillard is safe
- 11 March 2011 | Barbara Cartland isn't dead, she's writing for the ACM
- 9 March 2011 | The lunatic right: polled to steaming point
- 6 March 2011 | Murdoch mass media madness
- 3 March 2011 | Where do the Liberals find these people?
- 21 February 2011 | The monarchy: flying the flag for Britain - and nowhere else
- 20 February 2011 | Messages of intolerance: the slippery slope
- 17 February 2011 | The Queen is British, never Australian
- 16 February 2011 | Abbott should also apologise for asylum seeker comments
- 15 February 2011 | An Australia Republic: uninfluenced by box-office receipts
- 11 February 2011 | 'Menacing' Tony Abbott glaringly out of his depth
- 7 February 2011 | The Windsors last throw of the dice
- 3 February 2011 | Tony Abbott: capitalizing on natural disaster
- 1 February 2011 | The Queen of Australia has never called Australia home
- 28 January 2011 | Let everyone talk about Australia on Australia Day
- 26 January 2011 | Michael Parkinson says what (almost) everyone thinks
- 20 January 2011 | The rise of China and the bleak future for Western economies
- 18 January 2011 | Sarah Palin and the gun-toting American right
- 12 January 2011 | The "magic and mystique" of monarchy myth
- 31 December 2010 | Overhaul discriminatory laws of succession to British Crown
- 30 December 2010 | Dear David, royalty is boring
- 26 December 2010 | Kevin Andrews: the master of disaster
- 24 December 2010 | The King's Speech: a good movie that won't save the monarchy
- 16 December 2010 | The great Everingham dynasty
- 15 December 2010 | The fading cult of royalty
- 7 December 2010 | New plans for a bunyip aristocracy
- 5 December 2010 | An Australian Republic - an idea whose time has come
- 3 December 2010 | Wikileaks and fatuous claptrap
- 29 November 2010 | The Queen's Middle-East trade mission
- 21 November 2010 | Prince Charles: Camilla will be Queen
- 17 November 2010 | William and Kate: good luck and goodbye
- 16 November 2010 | Three royal cousins and the road to World War I
- 7 November 2010 | Andrew drops a bucket
- 4 November 2010 | Quentin Bryce: our head of state in waiting
- 28 October 2010 | A perspective on past viceroys pensions
- 23 October 2010 | John Howard: Lazarus with a vengeance
- 21 October 2010 | Sarah Palin and lunatic fringe
- 14 October 2010 | That inconvenient 1701 Act of Settlement
- 12 October 2010 | Mirabella challenged on stolen generations stance
- 6 October 2010 | Hereditary heads of state are long out of date
- 29 September 2010 | Wrecking democracy is bad manners
- 29 September 2010 | Grand delusions of royal restoration
- 22 September 2010 | The coldness of May
- 15 September 2010 | The pathos of the mad professor
- 5 September 2010 | The elegance of Charles
- 17 August 2010 | No need to wait, Julia
- 9 August 2010 | Flint wants titles
- 31 July 2010 | The Mad Professor Strikes Again
- 28 July 2010 | An Abbott Government - a very scary proposition!
- 19 July 2010 | Julia, it's time to move the nation forward
Donate to IA
We need YOU!
IA punches above its weight.
Help us sharpen our knuckledusters.
PLEASE DONATE NOW!
independent journalist, michaelwest.com.au