Dr Martin Hirst is a journalist, author and IA’s political editor.
Martin’s career in journalism began in 1975.
He also taught journalism for over 20 years.
Martin is a regular Independent Australia columnist and is also keen to help new writers develop their ideas and their style.
Articles written by Martin Hirst (62)
- 22 March 2017 | New media rules will do little to improve diversity in news and current affairs
- 19 March 2017 | Media Sauce: Turnbull Earth Hour? What killed Bill Leak? Break unjust laws?
- 10 March 2017 | ABC MD Michelle Guthrie faces difficult few weeks, says Quentin Dempster
- 3 March 2017 | Media Sauce: Malcolm Turnbull wedged by s18C, the Hard Right and NewsCorpse
- 24 February 2017 | Media Sauce: Global report shows we don’t trust elites or institutions
- 17 February 2017 | Eaten Fish is dying: What are we doing about it?
- 10 February 2017 | Media Sauce: Where’s BLeak when it comes to #FreeSpeech for cartoonists?
- 3 February 2017 | Media Sauce: How should the news media report Trump's presidency?
- 31 January 2017 | EXCLUSIVE: RAC condemns Turnbull's Trump #MuslimBan 'complicity'
- 27 January 2017 | Confessions of a gay Muslim Trump supporter
- 20 January 2017 | Media Sauce: #Trumpistan — where to find the real and unreal news on Trump
- 13 January 2017 | Media Sauce: Who to believe of Trump's #goldenshowers and honeytraps
- 6 January 2017 | Can #Fizza Turnbull make it to the end of the year?
- 22 December 2016 | Turnbull hangs on to the keys of the Lodge — but only just
- 16 December 2016 | Media Sauce: What's wrong with journalism today?
- 9 December 2016 | Media Sauce: Post-truth news from #Pizzagate to the Pontiff's poo missive
- 2 December 2016 | Media Sauce: Parallels between Orwell's 1984 and Murdoch 'hate media'
- 25 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Putting criticism of the ABC into perspective
- 23 November 2016 | Is Michelle Guthrie remaking the ABC in Murdoch’s image?
- 18 November 2016 | ABC staff union and friends say honeymoon over for Michelle Guthrie
- 17 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Fake news, electing Trump and more ABC-bashing
- 13 November 2016 | Trump is no joke but his mighty white friends will have you rolling in the aisles
- 11 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Double standards to doubling down at The Oz on 18C
- 8 November 2016 | Trigger warning: Truth goes down the News Corp memory hole
- 3 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Why is The Australian fixated on 18C?
- 31 October 2016 | Dear Ms Grace Collier
- 27 October 2016 | Media Sauce: Murdoch's sleazy Fake Sheikh gets his own taste of 'porridge'
- 24 October 2016 | Memo to the Fizza: Always bring a gun to a fist-fight
- 19 October 2016 | Media Sauce: When too much media reform is barely enough
- 12 October 2016 | Media Sauce: Was Chris Mitchell running the country?
- 8 October 2016 | Watch This Space: Jacqui Lambie says an Abbott return would be ‘stupid’
- 5 October 2016 | Media Sauce: Is public broadcasting about to die?
- 1 October 2016 | Watch This Space: Doc Martin on fascists, patriots, reclaimers and thugs
- 28 September 2016 | Hillary beats Trump in round one of never-ending presidential prize fight
- 24 September 2016 | Watch this Space: Doc Martin on the Tele's gaffe, Pauline Pantsdown, RAAF
- 21 September 2016 | What’s happening in Syria?
- 17 September 2016 | Watch this Space: Doc Martin on sale of ASIC, ABC bias and celebs Deb 'n Tarsh!
- 14 September 2016 | Welcome home Fizza: Turnbull returns to troubled days in Parliament
- 10 September 2016 | Watch This Space: Doc Martin on media reform bill — business as usual?
- 3 September 2016 | Watch This Space: Doc Martin picks over this week's 18C and Safe Schools bunkum
- 30 August 2016 | Turbulence ahead for Fizza Turnbull in 45th Parliament
- 28 August 2016 | Fairfax, News Corp and bleeding the ink out of newspapers
- 14 August 2016 | Turnbull v Whitlam: Who is/was Australia's worst PM?
- 31 May 2016 | Is Turnbull edging closer to catastrophe with latest polls and demise of his loyalists?
- 30 May 2016 | Can Labor win? It ain’t gonna be easy but it ain’t impossible either
- 25 June 2015 | Hands off the ABC: Turnbull should resign his commission
- 24 June 2015 | Zaky Mallah and the bluster and BS from Abbott and his Newscorp drones
- 15 June 2015 | Paying people smugglers: News Corp covers up for Abbott on story of the year
- 13 June 2015 | Is The Sun king on his way out?
- 10 June 2015 | Politicising human rights — what a terrible thing to do
- 1 June 2015 | Tony Abbott: The 'selfie' PM
- 27 April 2015 | SBS Scott McIntyre sacking: How News Corpse killed free speech to protect war
- 2 March 2015 | Plugging Abbott's leaks: Bedwetters in the NewsCorpse bunker
- 9 February 2015 | Abbocolypse Now: Zombie PM's days are numbered
- 9 February 2015 | The media and the #Libspill: Covering themselves in glory?
- 2 February 2015 | Press Gallery stars in Abbott’s National Press Club match
- 12 January 2015 | Wake up Charlies: Why these world leaders are a threat to you
- 13 November 2014 | The Russians are coming!
- 16 October 2014 | Getting the notes for Sharri Markson
- 13 October 2014 | Secret agent Sharri uncovers seditious academics not praising the Sun King
- 26 September 2014 | #HeyASIO: Is it me you're looking for?
- 24 September 2014 | Australia's meek media: Why giving more powers to spies and cops is dumb
Donate to IA
We need YOU!
IA punches above its weight.
Help us sharpen our knuckledusters.
PLEASE DONATE NOW!
independent journalist, michaelwest.com.au