Dr Martin Hirst is a journalist, author and IA’s political editor.
Martin’s career in journalism began in 1975.
He also taught journalism for over 20 years.
Martin is a regular Independent Australia columnist and is also keen to help new writers develop their ideas and their style.
Articles written by Martin Hirst (67)
- 28 April 2017 | IA EXCLUSIVE: French presidential election: Fascism and how to fight it
- 27 April 2017 | Syria: The new front line in a potentially global conflict (WW3 - Part Two)
- 21 April 2017 | Are we already fighting World War 3?
- 26 March 2017 | Amending the Racial Discrimination Act: Making bigotry great again!
- 22 March 2017 | New media rules will do little to improve diversity in news and current affairs
- 19 March 2017 | Media Sauce: Turnbull Earth Hour? What killed Bill Leak? Break unjust laws?
- 10 March 2017 | ABC MD Michelle Guthrie faces difficult few weeks, says Quentin Dempster
- 3 March 2017 | Media Sauce: Malcolm Turnbull wedged by s18C, the Hard Right and NewsCorpse
- 24 February 2017 | Media Sauce: Global report shows we don’t trust elites or institutions
- 17 February 2017 | Eaten Fish is dying: What are we doing about it?
- 10 February 2017 | Media Sauce: Where’s BLeak when it comes to #FreeSpeech for cartoonists?
- 3 February 2017 | Media Sauce: How should the news media report Trump's presidency?
- 31 January 2017 | EXCLUSIVE: RAC condemns Turnbull's Trump #MuslimBan 'complicity'
- 27 January 2017 | Confessions of a gay Muslim Trump supporter
- 20 January 2017 | Media Sauce: #Trumpistan — where to find the real and unreal news on Trump
- 13 January 2017 | Media Sauce: Who to believe of Trump's #goldenshowers and honeytraps
- 6 January 2017 | Can #Fizza Turnbull make it to the end of the year?
- 22 December 2016 | Turnbull hangs on to the keys of the Lodge — but only just
- 16 December 2016 | Media Sauce: What's wrong with journalism today?
- 9 December 2016 | Media Sauce: Post-truth news from #Pizzagate to the Pontiff's poo missive
- 2 December 2016 | Media Sauce: Parallels between Orwell's 1984 and Murdoch 'hate media'
- 25 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Putting criticism of the ABC into perspective
- 23 November 2016 | Is Michelle Guthrie remaking the ABC in Murdoch’s image?
- 18 November 2016 | ABC staff union and friends say honeymoon over for Michelle Guthrie
- 17 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Fake news, electing Trump and more ABC-bashing
- 13 November 2016 | Trump is no joke but his mighty white friends will have you rolling in the aisles
- 11 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Double standards to doubling down at The Oz on 18C
- 8 November 2016 | Trigger warning: Truth goes down the News Corp memory hole
- 3 November 2016 | Media Sauce: Why is The Australian fixated on 18C?
- 31 October 2016 | Dear Ms Grace Collier
- 27 October 2016 | Media Sauce: Murdoch's sleazy Fake Sheikh gets his own taste of 'porridge'
- 24 October 2016 | Memo to the Fizza: Always bring a gun to a fist-fight
- 19 October 2016 | Media Sauce: When too much media reform is barely enough
- 12 October 2016 | Media Sauce: Was Chris Mitchell running the country?
- 8 October 2016 | Watch This Space: Jacqui Lambie says an Abbott return would be ‘stupid’
- 5 October 2016 | Media Sauce: Is public broadcasting about to die?
- 1 October 2016 | Watch This Space: Doc Martin on fascists, patriots, reclaimers and thugs
- 28 September 2016 | Hillary beats Trump in round one of never-ending presidential prize fight
- 24 September 2016 | Watch this Space: Doc Martin on the Tele's gaffe, Pauline Pantsdown, RAAF
- 21 September 2016 | What’s happening in Syria?
- 17 September 2016 | Watch this Space: Doc Martin on sale of ASIC, ABC bias and celebs Deb 'n Tarsh!
- 14 September 2016 | Welcome home Fizza: Turnbull returns to troubled days in Parliament
- 10 September 2016 | Watch This Space: Doc Martin on media reform bill — business as usual?
- 3 September 2016 | Watch This Space: Doc Martin picks over this week's 18C and Safe Schools bunkum
- 30 August 2016 | Turbulence ahead for Fizza Turnbull in 45th Parliament
- 28 August 2016 | Fairfax, News Corp and bleeding the ink out of newspapers
- 14 August 2016 | Turnbull v Whitlam: Who is/was Australia's worst PM?
- 31 May 2016 | Is Turnbull edging closer to catastrophe with latest polls and demise of his loyalists?
- 30 May 2016 | Can Labor win? It ain’t gonna be easy but it ain’t impossible either
- 25 June 2015 | Hands off the ABC: Turnbull should resign his commission
- 24 June 2015 | Zaky Mallah and the bluster and BS from Abbott and his Newscorp drones
- 15 June 2015 | Paying people smugglers: News Corp covers up for Abbott on story of the year
- 13 June 2015 | Is The Sun king on his way out?
- 10 June 2015 | Politicising human rights — what a terrible thing to do
- 1 June 2015 | Tony Abbott: The 'selfie' PM
- 27 April 2015 | SBS Scott McIntyre sacking: How News Corpse killed free speech to protect war
- 2 March 2015 | Plugging Abbott's leaks: Bedwetters in the NewsCorpse bunker
- 9 February 2015 | Abbocolypse Now: Zombie PM's days are numbered
- 9 February 2015 | The media and the #Libspill: Covering themselves in glory?
- 2 February 2015 | Press Gallery stars in Abbott’s National Press Club match
- 12 January 2015 | Wake up Charlies: Why these world leaders are a threat to you
- 13 November 2014 | The Russians are coming!
- 16 October 2014 | Getting the notes for Sharri Markson
- 13 October 2014 | Secret agent Sharri uncovers seditious academics not praising the Sun King
- 26 September 2014 | #HeyASIO: Is it me you're looking for?
- 24 September 2014 | Australia's meek media: Why giving more powers to spies and cops is dumb
- 2 April 2017 | Rejoining the Canberra Press Gallery: How it happened and what it means
Donate to IA
We need YOU!
IA punches above its weight.
Help us sharpen our knuckledusters.
PLEASE DONATE NOW!
independent journalist, michaelwest.com.au