IA Newsletter ~ 23 September, 2011
Independent Australia continues campaign for Diggers
By far the most commented ever story on the Independent Australia website is Tess Lawrence’s story on the Government’s callous treatment of Australia’s former service personnel in their scuttling of the Coalition’s Defence Force Retirement and Death Benefits Amendment Bill (Fair Indexation) 2010.
Since our contributing editor’s story was published on June 25 this year, it has attracted 700 or so comments – many of them poignant pieces of quality journalism in their own right – providing a documentary record of the outrage and hurt, but moreover providing a virtual meeting place for activists to allow them to develop a highly effective campaign that continues to this day.
Speaking about the campaign, Tess Lawrence said today:
“We've taken what has for decades been dismissed as a dead and dull CPI story, but humanised the crux of the issue and highlighted the ethical and moral inequity of political argument — the moral bankruptcy, as well as the financial incompetence, of the Government.”
Independent Australia was the first publication to raise attention to these servicemen and women’s plight, which has now attracted significant attention in the mainstream press and been a thorn in the Government’s side. The story has never been out of IA’s top 3 most popular stories since its original publication.
Read the original story, and contribute to the vibrant discussion, in IA: http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/politics/exclusive-breaking-news-diggers-versus-the-gillard-government/
OTHER GREAT STORIES IN INDEPENDENT AUSTRALIA
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/international/radioactive-catastrophe-looms-as-typhoon-roke-heads-towards-fukushima/ by managing editor David Donovan
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/politics/abbotts-thugs-not-fit-to-run-the-country/ by senior correspondent Barry Everingham
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/australian-identity/time-for-britain-to-give-australias-birth-certificate-back/ by history editor Dr Glenn Davies
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/media-2/married-to-the-murdoch-mob/ by JD Lang
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/international/remembering-911-and-daring-to-dream/ by Virginia Becker
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/discrimination-2/australians-need-another-christian-voice-beyond-the-acl/ by Rev’d Dr Ray Barraclough
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/environment/climate-change-a-real-and-present-danger/ by JJ Faisson
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/republic/australian-constitutional-assembly-a-bridge-to-an-australian-constitutional-republic/ by Ross Garrad
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/politics/introduction-of-carbon-tax-and-the-end-of-abbott/ by Shaun Newman
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/new-australians/villawood-piano-teacher-says-look-at-the-small-picture/ by Philip Feinstein
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/finance-2/the-art-of-economics/ by David Donovan
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/politics/cory-bernardi-sarah-palin-and-the-australian-tea-party/ by Barry Everingham
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/environment/how-to-build-consensus-on-climate-change-action/ by Dr Ted Christie
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/business/mining-the-truth-the-rhetoric-and-reality-of-the-commodities-boom/ by the Australia Institute
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/republic/flint-bumps-flynn-for-tae-kwon-do-jai/ by Barry Everingham
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/environment/after-fukushima-world-nuclear-industry-rejects-better-safety-standards/ by Gregg Levine
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/politics/time-for-opposition-to-stop-just-saying-no/ by Shaun Newman
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/environment/chinas-growth-an-environmental-danger/ by Gervase Poulden
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/international/bush-administration-covered-up-saudi-arabia-role-in-911/ by Juan Gonzalez and Amy Goodman
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/republic/the-fox-from-bennelong/ by Joseph Cotta
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/republic/monarchist-statistics-carry-on-rich-tradition/ by Lewis Holden
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/literature/cry-and-die-the-tearful-fate-of-opera-heroines/ Dr Jane Gaillard
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/environment/rogues-or-respectable-how-climate-change-sceptics-spread-doubt-and-denial/ by Professor Ian Enting
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/international/banking-on-chaos-three-years-after-lehmans-collapse-%E2%80%94-no-lessons-learned/ by Dean Baker
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/media-2/australian-media-and-the-rise-of-the-redneck/ by Shaun Newman
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/democracy/mainstream-press-censor-and-ignore-stories-that-threaten-the-status-quo/ by Mark Carlin
- http://www.independentaustralia.net/2011/politics/blogging-and-the-revival-of-citizen-journalism/ by Tim Badrick
…and many more
Independent Australia is a progressive journal focusing on politics, democracy and Australian identity. It contains news and opinion from Australia and around the world. Independent Australia supports investigative journalism and a diversity of voices. It believes Australians are short-changed by the mass media and dedicates itself to seeking out the truth and informing the public. Independent Australia believes in a fully and truly independent Australia, a nation that determines its own future, a nation that protects its citizens, its environment and its future. A country that is fair and free.
The editorial team possesses a wealth of experience through creator and managing editor David Donovan, senior correspondent Barry Everingham, contributing editor-at-large Tess Lawrence, history editor Dr Glenn Davies and environment correspondent Sandi Keane.
This journal is unaffiliated with, and not endorsed by, any other organization. It is wholly owned by David Donovan.
If you would like to advertise on IA, comment or contribute, please email email@example.com.
If you would like to see the bios for our scores of contributors, please click here.
Sign up for the free weekly newsletter by clicking here. You can also follow Independent Australia on Facebook and Twitter.
Until next time, all the best,
David Donovan| Managing Editor
The journal of Australian identity and democracy
Mobile: +61 403 237 880 | Fax: +61 7 5526 8217
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Website: www.independentaustralia.net
Twitter: twitter.com/IndependentAus | Facebook: facebook.com/IndependentAus