After working as a sociologist in Britain, Barry Hindess joined the Australian National University (ANU) in 1987, later moving to ANU’s Research School of Social Sciences, where he learned to pass as a political scientist and developed his interests in post-colonialism and the legacies of liberalism and empire. He is now an Emeritus Professor in ANU’s School of Politics and International Relations. His publications include Discourses of Power: from Hobbes to Foucault, Governing Australia (with Mitchell Dean), Corruption and Democracy in Australia, Us and them: elites and anti-elitism in Australia (with Marian Sawer) and Governments, NGOs and Anti-Corruption: the new integrity warriors (with Luis de Sousa and Peter Larmour).
Articles written by Barry Hindess (20)
- 2 March 2018 | The I in ICAC: Independent or inaccurate
- 1 March 2018 | Corruption is the price we pay for democracy
- 8 February 2018 | Corruption in politics: The picture isn't so clear
- 27 January 2018 | In defence of politics
- 15 December 2017 | The Hunting of the Sam
- 1 December 2017 | Bill Shorten's reply to Australians of the Year regarding Manus — inadequate
- 27 November 2017 | Parliament cancelled: Is this the Coalition's idea of democratic 'reform'?
- 22 November 2017 | Do Australians care more about their phones than refugees on Manus Island?
- 5 November 2017 | Manus Island crisis: What does Australia owe to refugees
- 26 October 2017 | Moral Panic 101: Safe Schools and the new folk devils
- 14 September 2017 | Second class citizens: More consequential citizenship issues
- 21 August 2017 | The s44 dual citizenship circus
- 23 July 2017 | Australia's treatment of asylum seekers: Never Walk Away
- 23 June 2017 | Debunking the Liberal Party 'better economic managers' myth
- 31 May 2017 | 'White Queen' Hanson, 'Black Prince' Howard and the politics of racism
- 22 March 2017 | Sally McManus, unjust laws and outraged politicians
- 6 March 2017 | Is Australia racist?
- 27 September 2016 | We need to talk about China
- 18 August 2016 | #NauruFiles: Public concern over brutal treatment of refugees is starting to bite
- 8 August 2016 | Do we really want to know about Don Dale brutality?
Donate to IA
We need YOU!
IA punches above its weight.
Help us sharpen our knuckledusters.
PLEASE DONATE NOW!