Independent Australia is proud to announce a competition to showcase some of our most talented writers, with some terrific prizes up for grabs!
IA WRITING COMPETITION
WE ARE PUBLISHING a big, bold Independent Australia magazine edition, featuring hard news reports and deep dive analysis from our editorial team and columnists, plus food, wine and entertainment news, puzzles and more, to be published in October.
The magazine will also include two exciting competitions.
MOST COMPELLING ARTICLE CATEGORY
We now invite submissions for the Most Compelling Article. This is open to non-fiction articles from the general public, which we have not solicited.
This section will be judged by internationally renowned and multi-award-winning journalist Australian, John Pilger.
MOST ENTHRALLING FICTION WORK CATEGORY
We also invite writers of fiction and poetry to send us an enthralling short story or poem, featuring a current affairs or social element.
This category will be judged by Australian theatre and film producer and former Sydney Writers' Festival CEO and director of Adelaide Writers' Week, Jo Dyer.
Shortlisted entries for each category will attract a $100 monthly prize, a 12-month subscription to IA, plus publication on the Independent Australia website.
The overall winner in both categories will each receive a $500 prize and publication in the special edition of the Independent Australia magazine, due in October.
We can’t wait to be dazzled by your submissions, so get those pens and keyboards sharpened!
*CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Closing date for entries is 18 August 2023.
- All entries must be submitted in Word or PDF format.
- Entries in both categories must not exceed 2500 words.
- All entries must be accompanied with author's brief bio and profile photo, email address and contact phone number.
- Entries must be original.
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated.
- Entries that have been previously published on IA or elsewhere will not be accepted.
- IA columnists are ineligible.
- Articles commissioned by IA are ineligible.
- IA staff are ineligible.
- Previous contributors to IA are free to enter.
- Entries may be edited at our discretion.
- Entries may be published on IA without being shortlisted for a prize.
- Winners will be notified by email.
- Please send submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*PLEASE NOTE: Independent Australia reserves the right to publish entries at its discretion.
Follow Independent Australia on Twitter at @independentaus, on Twitter HERE, Facebook HERE and Instagram HERE.
Support independent journalism Subscribe to IA.