Sandi Keane is a former Independent Australia's editor and environment editor.
Sandi’s July 2011 investigation into the anti-wind lobby, the Landscape Guardians and Waubra Foundation, exposed the ‘guardians’ as astroturfers and the web of vested interests behind them. It has been widely referenced here in Australia, USA and Canada and led to an invitation for her to speak at the 7th Australian Wind Energy Conference in Melbourne in December 2011.
In February 2012, Sandi’s investigation made it into Hansard when Labor MP John Murphy used her investigation as a speech in the House of Representatives in support of the Clean Energy Bill.
Before coming back to Melbourne, she hosted a column in two regional newspapers, was a regular writer for the glossy mag, Town and Country Farmer, as well as frequent contributor to environment journals.
She has a Master of Journalism which includes Masters units in environmental and climate change policy (Master of Environment). Her professional career as a freelance journalist, PR consultant, major event manager (such as directing the Bicentenary's Tall Ships event in Melbourne), arts administrator and policy adviser has taken her to London and Vienna as well as Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
Her last stint in Melbourne was PR for the City of Melbourne when she was in charge of Customer Relations. Her writing skills led her to be one of the Lord Mayor's speechwriters along with the crafting of media releases. As one of Melbourne's major events co-ordinators, she also directed one of Melbourne's biggest events, the Bicentenary's Tall Ships, overseeing 350 staff.
Sandi’s treechange in Victoria’s high country gave her an opportunity to focus on her love of the natural world. She has been involved in the environment movement since the 1970s. In 2008, she was instrumental in forming the highly successful Up2Us Landcare Alliance in Mansfield and was its first President. Up2Us employed a coordinator, established an office and resource centre and organised funding websites for member groups. network. In 2009, Sandi was invited as one of Victoria’s environment community leaders to the invitation-only breakfast with Al Gore.
After returning to Melbourne in 2010, Sandi now specialises in investigating what she describes as "carbon claptrap and other bunkum".
Sandi describes herself as a "Twitter tragic" and has tweeted for ABC's Lateline as well as the Melbourne Writers' Festival. You can follow Sandi on Twitter @jarrapin.
Articles written by Sandi Keane (68)
- 8 July 2016 | Chilcot: Howard's continued lies about Iraq remind us of his deep dishonesty and poor judgement
- 23 June 2016 | Voting for Turnbull? Here's 5 reasons why you shouldn't!
- 26 May 2016 | WTF! A secret deal that sees Abbott replace Turnbull in the Lodge?
- 30 May 2015 | Imagine we were a Republic and we could vote for this man as our President
- 7 May 2015 | How well do you know the Greens new leader, Senator Di Natale?
- 27 March 2015 | Money politics trumps party loyalty as Ferguson enters the NSW anti-CSG fray
- 22 February 2015 | 5 Easy steps to join the world of Twitter (Part 2)
- 21 February 2015 | 5 Good reasons to join the world of Twitter (Part 1)
- 20 February 2015 | Supporting citizen journalism
- 23 January 2015 | Time to Wake Up: The Climate Denial Beast
- 18 December 2014 | Abbott's 'mean and tricky' Australia: Lima's Colossal Fossil
- 17 October 2014 | Want to save the family farm? Don't vote National!
- 29 August 2014 | Abbott's pre-prepared RET review does the business for Big Mining
- 12 August 2014 | Citizens unite against Alcoa's dirty brown coal mine and pitiful power plant
- 8 July 2014 | The IPA and Waubra Foundation's charitable tax status rorts
- 29 June 2014 | Palmer and Gore: What are they good for?
- 6 May 2014 | The fossil fuel industry and who really runs Australia
- 27 March 2014 | Big Gas and its political lackeys: Attacking Australians' rights
- 12 March 2014 | The Liberal Party's nuclear dreams: The strange case of Dr John White and Ignite
- 26 December 2013 | The dogs of healing
- 23 December 2013 | Tim Wilson and the Institute of Public Smokescreens
- 29 November 2013 | Kiribati and the coming climate refugee crisis
- 18 April 2011 | Plans for Australia to become world's nuclear waste dump
- 6 September 2013 | Julian Assange on Wikileaks and the election
- 6 September 2013 | EXCLUSIVE: Julian Assange — coming home next year?
- 5 September 2013 | Infrastructure Tony put trucks before people in Victoria
- 27 August 2013 | Tony Abbott: Plagiarist, pretender and follower
- 22 August 2013 | Wikileaks Party: Age of Aquarius or Armageddon
- 7 August 2013 | Victorian Government ignores Gippsland gasfield concerns
- 14 July 2013 | Land grabs — the new global oil and gold rush
- 18 June 2013 | Wind taken out of protesters' sails in Canberra
- 9 June 2013 | Political cartels and the Independent answer
- 8 June 2013 | Are Labor and the Coalition now just political cartels?
- 10 April 2013 | John Howard — Lazarus lying
- 21 March 2013 | The spectacular rise and fall of Richard Torbay
- 7 February 2013 | Getting down and dirty on CSG in NSW
- 3 February 2013 | Australia's CSG industry — no longer such a gas
- 7 January 2013 | Let 'er rip Ted Baillieu could spell R.I.P.
- 10 November 2012 | How the MSM flog stories from blogs
- 7 November 2012 | Sneaky Santos caught out in CSG con
- 25 October 2012 | Burning the budgies over U.S. carbon
- 28 September 2012 | Waubra fights back against phony Foundation
- 24 August 2012 | Simmonds Lumber goes "CSI" to combat illegal logging
- 23 August 2012 | Lies, damned lies and Olympic Dam sized lies
- 4 July 2012 | EPA Clean Air to end coal in the US
- 19 June 2012 | Carbon Tax Syndrome is the new Wind Turbine Syndrome
- 4 May 2012 | Ted Bails out on inner-city residents
- 26 April 2012 | Ritual animal slaughter goes mainstream
- 25 April 2012 | Climate change denial is as easy as ABC
- 1 April 2012 | John Cook has a Eureka moment
- 6 March 2012 | The Landscape Guardians and the Waubra Foundation
- 15 February 2012 | How to spot an astroturfer or an online fake
- 7 February 2012 | Deception is our product
- 26 December 2011 | TOP IA STORIES OF 2011 The horrifying consequences of the Fukushima meltdown
- 21 December 2011 | TOP IA STORIES OF 2011 The ugly landscape of the Guardians
- 24 November 2011 | IA INVESTIGATION: Victoria goes dirty brown
- 1 November 2011 | On Borrowed Time with David Bradbury and Paul Cox
- 21 October 2011 | Have your say on the Olympic Dam uranium mine
- 24 July 2011 | The ugly Landscape of the Guardians
- 11 July 2011 | BER - just the bad news please
- 20 June 2011 | Fukushima disaster, cover-up and fears of nuclear explosion
- 13 June 2011 | Crackers #4: The Institute of Public Smokescreens
- 18 May 2011 | Fukushima meltdown cover-up: who's watching the watchers?
- 13 May 2011 | The horrifying consequences of the Fukushima meltdown
- 4 May 2011 | The Planet vs East Bumcrack: Crackers #1 - Andrew Bolt
- 27 April 2011 | Coal Seam Gas: is it too late to Lock the Gate?
- 19 April 2011 | Alpine grazing and the cryptogamic layer
- 11 April 2011 | Liberal Party receives millions from fossil fuel lobby
Donate to IA
We need YOU!
IA punches above its weight.
Help us sharpen our knuckledusters.
PLEASE DONATE NOW!