John Passant is a former tax lecturer and Assistant Commissioner of Taxation in charge of international tax reform in the ATO.
Since leaving the University of Canberra in December 2011 he has not been interviewed once for any of the more than 20 academic tax law jobs he has applied for.
No doubt being a revolutionary socialist has had nothing to do with his failure to be interviewed.
John is now a PhD student in the School of Politics and International Relations at the ANU and a tutor this semester at the University of Wollongong. He blogs at En Passant.
Articles written by John Passant (103)
- 25 May 2017 | Mainstream media presumption of guilt threatens Pell and others' prosecutions
- 15 May 2017 | Rare gems like Mark Colvin and the future of the fourth and fifth estates
- 12 May 2017 | Budget 2017: Taking a scalpel to the poor, unemployed, students and workers
- 8 May 2017 | What Trumble's cringeworthy meeting with Trump means for Australia
- 5 May 2017 | How you can support #FairgoFairfax
- 1 May 2017 | Morrison's 2017 Budget debt: The good, the bad and the ugly
- 28 April 2017 | Anzac Day: Lest we remember
- 24 April 2017 | Australian values and the deceitful dogwhistling of Peter Dutton
- 17 April 2017 | Housing crises: From property bubbles to homelessness
- 12 April 2017 | United in profit: Overbooking and violent removal all part of the service
- 11 April 2017 | Syria: Trump's bombs and Turnbull's crocodile tears
- 3 April 2017 | Sally McManus, fake news and 'free speech'
- 31 March 2017 | Sally McManus: Australian social democracy's new hero
- 27 March 2017 | One Nation and the rise of fascism
- 23 March 2017 | Top class! Free speech is a fundamental right ... but only for the ruling Right
- 21 March 2017 | Should Commissioner of Taxation Chris Jordan resign?
- 16 March 2017 | Break unjust laws and cut the working week
- 14 March 2017 | Racism did not die with Bill Leak
- 6 March 2017 | Turnbull's war against the fair go
- 27 February 2017 | Penalty rate cuts: Because lowest paid workers aren't exploited enough
- 22 February 2017 | Is it time for the ACT to 'do a Colorado' and introduce marijuana taxes?
- 20 February 2017 | Midnight Oil are re-forming but Garrett's power and passion still questionable
- 15 February 2017 | Suffer the little children: Sexual abuse and neglect by Church and state
- 13 February 2017 | Coal, Trump, Pell and halal certification
- 6 February 2017 | Malcolm 'Trumble' Turnbull's mounting troubles
- 29 January 2017 | The Australian flag on Invasion Day: To burn or not to burn?
- 25 January 2017 | How the rise of Trump is related to indigenocide and Australia Day
- 16 January 2017 | Have Ley's expenses been reported to the AFP, Mr Turnbull?
- 10 January 2017 | Centrelink debacle: A symptom of the Turnbull Government's war on welfare
- 3 January 2017 | Morbid symptoms of neoliberalism
- 21 December 2016 | ICAC, Obeid and the criminality that is Australian politics
- 13 December 2016 | Could a levy on big business offset $4 billion in tax avoidance?
- 6 December 2016 | Bipartisan contempt for pro-refugee protesters at Parliament House
- 29 November 2016 | Let's not celebrate the 'rape of the soul' of Aboriginal Australia
- 21 November 2016 | Turnbull talks tax trash
- 14 November 2016 | Australia: A Trumpland in the making
- 10 November 2016 | Trump the False Messiah: Will he become the workers' anti-Christ?
- 7 November 2016 | Abolishing Section 18C: AKA free speech for the few
- 2 November 2016 | In defence of the Melbourne Cup
- 31 October 2016 | Unions, corporate self-regulation and safety: Is it a Dreamworld?
- 24 October 2016 | Guns for votes, ABCC and double dissolution triggers
- 17 October 2016 | Will Labor's ACT election win presage the fall of the Turnbull Government?
- 11 October 2016 | Banks say 'sorry' — so Turnbull announces tribunal instead of RC
- 4 October 2016 | SA blackout: The 'renewables and Labor did it' tale
- 29 September 2016 | SA blackout: Australia storms Right into the dark over renewables
- 27 September 2016 | Ban on Muslims? It's a standard Aussie response
- 19 September 2016 | The resistible rise of Pauline Hanson
- 12 September 2016 | Women's AFL and the gender pay gap
- 5 September 2016 | Apple's Double Dutch Irish Sandwich with a side of tax avoidance
- 29 August 2016 | ScoMo's taxed-nots
- 22 August 2016 | French burkini ban: Women measuring up and measuring women up
- 17 August 2016 | Gosford Anglican Church's invasion by Hansonite thugs: The new racism
- 11 August 2016 | First Don Dale now #Nauruleak on rampant child abuse earns global censure
- 8 August 2016 | The Big Four, super profits and a Royal Commission
- 5 August 2016 | The Oz cartoonist Bill Leak sparks social media outrage for racist cartoon
- 1 August 2016 | Right royal NT whitewash
- 27 July 2016 | NT detention: Just another atrocity
- 26 July 2016 | Neoliberalism and Australia's political divide
- 18 July 2016 | Violence against women: the Price is wrong
- 11 July 2016 | The Coalition, Hanson's resurrection and the rise of racism
- 5 July 2016 | Australians deliver reality check for major parties in cliffhanger election
- 27 June 2016 | Brexit, Turnbull and fake stability
- 21 June 2016 | Fighting systemic violence
- 14 June 2016 | How can there be fairness in an unfair economy?
- 6 June 2016 | Safe Schools, Roz Ward and the suppression of dissidents
- 30 May 2016 | Why not tax the rich instead of screwing the less well off?
- 23 May 2016 | Election 2016: Asylum seekers, AFP raids and dead cats
- 17 May 2016 | Election 2016: Malcolm Turnbull's shaky start
- 12 May 2016 | Duncan Storrar: Q&A's latest social media sensation
- 12 May 2016 | PM Turnbull named in #PanamaPapers
- 4 May 2016 | A Budget of smokers and mirrors
- 2 May 2016 | The tax concessions Turnbull won’t abolish all overwhelmingly favour the top 10%
- 28 April 2016 | Has the time come to criminalise tax avoidance?
- 23 April 2016 | Australia as a tax haven
- 22 April 2016 | And what if Labor wins?
- 14 April 2016 | #PanamaPapers scandal applies a blowtorch to the murky workings of capitalism
- 5 April 2016 | The #PanamaPapers reveal the real face of capitalism — again
- 1 April 2016 | Income Tax: Back to 1915 with Malcolm Turnbull
- 23 March 2016 | The forthcoming Federal election and the ongoing attacks on unions and workers
- 21 March 2016 | Facebook's "standards" for sex, nudity and race
- 8 March 2016 | Gay liberation, refugees and the hypocrisy of Turnbull and Shorten
- 12 February 2016 | Why did Turnbull dump the proposed GST increase?
- 9 February 2016 | The ATO offshoring jobs is the same as business offshoring profits
- 4 February 2016 | Why didn't The Canberra Times report on the Invasion Day protest in Canberra?
- 16 January 2016 | Essendon players and the fight for justice
- 6 January 2016 | Dear Uncle Malcolm, if you really respect women — SACK DUTTON NOW
- 21 December 2015 | Big business tax watch: Do corporate tax avoiders also mistreat their staff?
- 18 December 2015 | Tax, big business avoidance and other bruises
- 17 December 2015 | MYEFO: Abbott's cuts repackaged
- 24 November 2015 | The Grand Mufti was right
- 3 November 2015 | Raising the GST will hurt workers and the poor: There are other, fairer options
- 22 October 2015 | Turnbull on transparency: Shielding the rich and shrouding gulags in secrecy
- 17 September 2015 | Prime Ministerial deck chairs: What the hell is going on in Australia?
- 3 September 2015 | Join my jihad against this rotten Australian government
- 27 August 2015 | Tax cuts for the rich? Seriously Mr Hockey?
- 6 August 2015 | Workchoices: It's back!
- 28 July 2015 | The ALP and the asylum seekers
- 9 July 2015 | Kevin Ovenden in Greece: Europe’s ‘leaders’ have learnt nothing
- 5 June 2015 | Is capitalism the problem as falling returns dry up?
- 13 April 2015 | Stop the cuts: Tax the rich
- 17 January 2014 | Free speech, universities and Tim Wilson
- 26 January 2012 | Gillard and Abbott were never really threatened by Aboriginal protestors
- 17 January 2012 | Put car industry on war footing to fight global warming
Donate to IA
We need YOU!
IA punches above its weight.
Help us sharpen our knuckledusters.
PLEASE DONATE NOW!
independent journalist, michaelwest.com.au