JOHN MAYCOCK, 60, of Brisbane gained a Bachelor of Social Science as a mature aged student, graduating in 2010.
His areas of interests include History, Politics, and Sociology, society and cultures; where he is particularly concerned with the marginalisation and vilification of minority groups and the manipulation of public opinion, driving the marginalisation through divisive political discourse and a compliant media.
Before attending University, John worked at a variety of blue collar jobs, as well as a stint in the Merchant Navy, and has always believed in and supported unionism.
His first taste of activism was when he took to the streets with his father and fellow unionists to protest the sacking of Whitlam, as well as attending many protests and rallies during the Bjelke-Peterson years. John counts his participation in the 2007 APEC protest as a highlight of his activist career.
Throughout his life, John has been an avid reader, covering many areas such as ancient and modern history, the rise and fall of religions societies and empires, as well as many alternate historical views. He believes that justice for Australia’s Indigenous people will not be complete until the history of European Indigenous contact, as told from the Indigenous perspective and experience rather than white victors history, becomes part of all Australians’ understanding of “who we are”.
Passionate about Social Justice, John sees a pressing need to restore honesty to the public/political discourse.
Articles written by John Maycock (15)
- 25 May 2017 | 'Downward envy': A job guarantee versus universal basic income
- 26 December 2016 | IA #6 top story of 2016: The cruel pension eligibility tricks facing Australia's disabled
- 12 November 2016 | 18C: Why bigotry and rudeness break the social contract
- 16 July 2016 | Want Pauline Hanson to eat a HSP with Sam Dastyari? Sign the petition!
- 27 June 2016 | Nash, Cash and the Coalition's idea of "misogyny"
- 9 June 2016 | Queensland: Pendulum swinging back to Labor for #election2016?
- 22 May 2016 | The cruel pension eligibility tricks facing Australia's disabled
- 5 May 2016 | Michaelia Cash passes the 'loophole baton' to Christian Porter to continue the attack on the jobless
- 22 April 2016 | Is ostracising the unemployed part of your #ideasboom, Senator Cash?
- 15 April 2016 | Stop the hectoring tirades Senator Cash and fix the jobless problem
- 17 November 2015 | Astroturfing the Senate: Another attack on democracy by the 'haves'
- 2 April 2015 | Will Abbott clamp down on Reclaim Australia's racial hate rallies?
- 14 March 2015 | White Australia: Blood on the wattle
- 4 March 2015 | Scott Morrison's message to Australians: Stop whining and take your medicine
- 21 February 2015 | Scott Morrison: a kinder, gentler approach to welfare?