Bruce Haigh is a retired diplomat who served in South Africa, twice in Pakistan and Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka and Iran.
In South Africa, he assisted anti-apartheid activists, amongst whom was Donald Woods, the outspoken news paper editor. Bruce assisted him escape South Africa which was portrayed in the Richard Attenborough film, Cry Freedom.
Bruce was the first diplomat in Pakistan to make contact with Benazir Bhutto following her return from exile. They became close friends.
In Afghanistan, Bruce took photographs of Russian armoured vehicles, radio installations and soldiers.
Bruce came to Foreign Affairs via Jackarooing in the Kimberly’s, rough necking on an oil rig inland from Broome and two years National Service in the Armoured Corps. He secured an honours degree in history and politics from the University of WA.
He worked on the Refugee Review Tribunal for six years until Ruddock, Downer and Howard saw through him.
Bruce developed a vineyard and olive grove at Mudgee where he now lives and writes and comments on current affairs.
Articles written by Bruce Haigh (19)
- 14 September 2017 | Marawi — a metaphor for Islamic extremism in Asia
- 25 June 2017 | ISIS in the Philippines and Australia's surrender of South East Asia
- 7 June 2017 | Australian foreign policy and ISIS in the region
- 24 May 2017 | Importance of ASEAN: Border protection means more than just bullying refugees
- 2 January 2017 | Despite China's growing influence, it's still all the way with the USA for Turnbull
- 6 December 2016 | Time to apply Chautauqua to Australia
- 11 September 2016 | Australia's complicity in Sri Lankan war crimes
- 6 September 2016 | Mounting abuses in youth detention need Indigenous-led solutions
- 30 August 2016 | Who holds the key to Australia's potential?
- 20 June 2016 | Donald Trump and Australia's American dependency
- 4 May 2016 | Asylum seekers: Victims of Australia's selfishness
- 23 March 2016 | Ground up at the medical meat market
- 12 March 2016 | Government negligence and Australia's water crisis
- 27 January 2016 | A Day of Shame in the Land of No Fair Go
- 11 May 2015 | The unbalanced Budget
- 29 April 2015 | State sanctioned murder
- 2 March 2015 | The Abbott Government and Sri Lanka's new regime
- 6 November 2014 | Tony Abbott, Iraq and the Anzac myth
- 30 September 2014 | Tony Abbott’s reckless Crusade
Donate to IA
We need YOU!
IA punches above its weight.
Help us sharpen our knuckledusters.
PLEASE DONATE NOW!